Thursday, August 27, 2009

How Smart Is A Cockatiel?

Only life with a pet bird, a cockatiel, (ours is named "Buddy") could inspire this nugget of a story idea.

Suppose for a moment the bird is super-smart. You whistle to him and he whistles back and you're entertained. You care for this wonderful, grey-winged squawker.

You line the bottom of the cage with newspapers. The financial section, the sports section. Week after week.

Buddy reads the stocks, keeps up with sports. He's got some tips for me. I hear him whistle in an unusual way, and I investigate. It's some kind of...code...and I figure it out! His stock tips actually...make me money! Think of the ramifications.

I begin to wonder. Just how "old" is Buddy? Are there any more of his type out there? And how can I keep this avian wonder a secret?
Sphere: Related Content

No comments: